Monday, March 17, 2008

One More Thought About The Most Important Management Training Tip Ever

Hello readers. I’m Lisa Alvarez and I am the Internet Marketing Director for Successful Leadership Skills. You haven’t heard my voice on this blog yet because I am certainly not the leadership expert that Rob and Rich are, however, based on the most recent blog posts I thought now would be the perfect time to give you some of my perspective. Through my work I have had the opportunity to be in some meetings with the senior executives of very prosperous organizations. While Rob and Rich are pretty much running the meetings, I’ve been able to sit back and observe some highly successful teams in action.

The biggest thing that I have seen a senior team struggle with is strategic planning. Everyone naturally comes with their own biased agenda and ready to fight for what their department wants and needs the most. I’ve sat back and watched teams wrestle for days and weeks and months about what their highest priorities will be in their organization…and no one wants to let go of what they “own”. And then I’ve seen two very different things begin to happen.

1) People who came in with a passionately narrow mind have suddenly begun to discuss other departments as if they have a responsibility for those too…as if they think something else just might be equally important (if not more important) than their “baby” that they’ve fought for every year as long as they’ve been there.

OR

2) No matter how many hours some people spend in a room with the organization’s top thinkers (which they are expected to be one of) they cannot get their heads around the organization as a whole. This is made obvious by either their unyielding stubbornness or their retreat into the shadows…not wanting to be called upon for an opinion because they really have no idea about anything outside of their department.

I’ve sat there and watched people who have many years of leadership behind them, who’ve somehow managed to get so close to the top only to completely drop the ball at this critical point. And it does not go unnoticed. The person at the top, the one who really runs the show, wants to be surrounded by exceptional leaders. The CEO has a much better chance of achieving great things if they are surrounded by people who are capable of thinking the way they think…what is best for the organization as a whole and how are we going to make it happen.

The people who have a firm grasp on this are beyond a shadow of a doubt, the most important to an organization. This trait is shared by all of the most valued leaders I’ve ever come across.


Visit our site by clicking here, management training and leadership skills, to learn more.

No comments: